[asdf-devel] [armedbear-devel] Patches for ABCL against asdf-1.641

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Mar 25 13:00:09 UTC 2010

On 3/25/10 Mar 25 -1:49 AM, Mark Evenson wrote:
> On 3/25/10 7:34 AM, Faré wrote:
> […]

>>> It would be perhaps cleaner to have the binary locations machinery of ASDF2
>>> react to not being able to write to the Pathname derived from the location
>>> of the ".asd" file in an extensible manner. This might be useful for users
>>> of Lisps other than ABCL who don't have permission to write to the system
>>> ASDF location for instance.  My current problem is that the :BEFORE for
>>> PERFORM specialized on COMPILE-OP SOURCE-FILE contains an
>>> ENSURE-DIRECTORIES-EXIST which by default is derived from the ".asd"
>>> Pathname.  Is there a way to per-system customization of the output
>>> location?
>>>
>> How do you propose to do that?
>
> Not sure, which is why I was floating the idea for comments, but if I
> can run a user-defined function after the .asd has been parsed to
> programatically implement the following, that might work.  I need to
> read up on what is present in the currently defined mechanism.

Faré would it be possible/appropriate to take the core of find-system
which does the work of loading the system (opening the file,
interpreting it, etc.), and package it up as a generic function so that
it would be possible for customizers to add :before, :after, and :around
methods?  Or, alternatively, for "in-house" ASDF extensions like
Juanjo's, or a proposed ABCL jar extension, to provide additional
"wrapper" methods that would leave :before, :after, and :around free for
"outsiders"?

Just a casual thought,