[asdf-devel] Package manipulation [ was ASDF traverse changed behavior? ]

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 18 18:19:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM, james anderson <james.anderson at setf.de>wrote:

> On 2010-03-18, at 16:23 , Faré wrote:
>
> > [ ...]
> >
> > But I think ASDF ought to make a best effort, so that you can at
> > the very
> > least upgrade ASDF when installed as part of Common-Lisp-Controller
> > and
> > similar management layers (that do use package ASDF).
>
> as a step in that direction, let us enumerate the actions which an
> upgrade could contemplate[...]

I have been reading the list of things that can, have and cannot be done and
it is way more complex than I had expected. Wouldn't it make sense to split
asdf.lisp into two files? asdf-boot.lisp to set up everything _only_ if we
need to redefine ASDF functions, classes and other stuff, and asdf.lisp
which works as it used to do. In asdf.lisp we may even add a finall call to
an optional function (asdf-finish) that polishes the last corners _after_
everything new has been defined.

The advantage is that the logic of redefinition and of the ASDF system
itself are well separated. It also helps that implementations for which
redefinition is not happening (for instance ECL does not load ASDF in the
core, it is an optional module), can forget about the complexity of the
asdf-boot.lisp part.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC