[asdf-devel] ASDF traverse changed behavior?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 18 14:02:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 2:55 PM, james anderson <james.anderson at setf.de>wrote:

> if asdf were to adopt an 11.1.2.1.2-rule, asdf-ecl.lisp would require a
> change.
>
> it would not be supported for an extension to extend 'asdf:load-op such
> that load-op itself specialized an operation-done-p :around method which
> forced complete traversal results. it would be be necessary to specialize
> the load-op class as, for example, collect-op, and specialize
> operation-done-p on that class. in which case its own primary method could
> always return nil and an :around method would not be necessary.

What you suggest can not be done. While load-op dependencies are
automatically added to all systems by some hard-coded logic in DEFSYSTEM, if
we create a collect-op, traverse will not find any dependencies that are
related to it and it will refuse to, say, traverse cl-ppcre when stumpwm
depends on it.

A potential aternative would be to remove the :around method and use
*forcing* but this again does not work, because *forcing* only forces the
system we act upon, and not the dependecies it has.

So right now there is no way to traverse the ASDF system tree without such a
hack.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC