[asdf-devel] ABCL trunk r12551 works with asdf-1.643

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Mar 16 21:37:34 UTC 2010

Thanks for applying my patches to ASDF, as it now appears that ABCL
trunk (svn r12551 and later) runs pretty well with ASDF-1.643.  The
previous problem I noted with the binary locations getting "collapsed"
was our problem which I fixed in ABCL.

Attached is a (trivial) patch so that 'run-tests.sh' actually uses the
flags argument.

ABCL now passes the ASDF test suite:

-#---------------------------------------
Using abcl  --noinit
Ran 21 tests:
   21 passing and 0 failing
all tests apparently successful
-#---------------------------------------

After discussion on IRC and further thought, I no longer advocate that
ASDF2 not make the relocating the FASLs the default.  There are
certainly decent arguments for it, and we do want progress in ASDF2,
right?  Instead, I would advise that you make a section in the (really
excellent looking) manual that explicates the changes that an ASDF1
user—both with and without using ASDF-BINARY-LOCATIONS—should expect in
ASDF2.  And I would include the *LOAD-TRUENAME*/*LOAD-PATHNAME* issue
(i.e. use a conditionalized ASDF:SYSTEM-DEFINITION-PATHNAME invocation)
in that section.

Otherwise, ASDF2 looks quite cool.  What's your timeframe for an
official release?  I'd include it as-is in ABCL, but don't want to chase
all the release candidates to ASDF2.

is nothing to compare to it now."