[asdf-devel] Cache? Translations? How to get rid of them?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 19:50:10 UTC 2010

>: Juanjo
> I was just thinking how to extend this functionality to user-defined systems
> and hit another problem. The goal is to take an ASDF system and prepare a
> bundle that contains a PREBUILT-SYSTEM file (*.asd), a library file (*.a or
> *.lib) and a FASL (*.fas) This set of files can then be distributed
> elsewhere.
>
> The problem is that the prebuilt system definition must contain the location
> of these other files,
>
> (DEFSYSTEM "user-file"
>  :CLASS ASDF::PREBUILT-SYSTEM
>  :LIB "user-file.a"
>  :COMPONENTS ((:COMPILED-FILE "serve-event")))
>
> Currently this works for ECL's contributed extensions because we hardcode
> logical pathnames, as "SYS:user-file.a"
>
> However in general these files would be stored together with the *.asd file
> so their full pathnames could be resolved based on the former. How can I do
> that without getting the pathnames get overwritten by ASDF?
>
> Changing output-translations is not an option, because this would have
> global effects.

I admit I don't understand what problem you're trying to solve.

Where is the file to be when you compile?
Where is the file to be when you load?
How do you currently do things, and what breaks?
Could say, a logical pathname host LIB:
help locate the libraries?
How do you do things without ASDF?

 "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman
 she meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again."
   - TV listing for the Wizard of Oz in the Marin Independent Journal