[asdf-devel] Cache? Translations? How to get rid of them?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 19:42:47 UTC 2010

> Thanks for your explanations and corrections. I just updated ECL to use
> 1.634.

Thank you for your always prompt action!

> FYI, the reason why I did not add **/*.* is because the sbcl case was just
> specified like that: (getenv "SBCL_HOME"), which is what I more or less
> adapted. Someone should have a look at that, because asdf might be broken
> for sbcl.

Don't worry: the getenv returns a string object, which unlike pathname
objects, gets wildened with "**/*.*".

> The ASDF systems I provide are tied to the implementation in that they come
> pre-built and require that particular version but should not overwrite
> whatever the user provides: they include asdf, sb-profile, clx, sockets,
> etc, and I would not feel very comfortable imposing our choice of tools when
> there might be newer versions out there.

Sure, then you shouldn't put them in the wrapping-source-registry
(except maybe at the end, after :inherit-configuration).

> It may be redundant but I would like to see ECL's own asdf path somehow
> hardcoded in asdf.lisp, not as a main search place but as an always there
> option. The reason is that we already had a couple of cases in which people
> overwrote ASDF's search path, resulting in ECL being unable to locate any of
> its default tools when ASDF:LOAD-OP'ed.
That would be adding a path at the end of the wrapping-source-registry.

> Thanks again for your help. Using the latest changes in ASDF ECL is now
> capable of building and shipping its own versions of CLX and other tools in
> a way that can then be linked to other FASL, programs or shared libraries
> using the ASDF extensions we already had.

Yay! Congratulations, and thanks for using our latest ASDF.

Trillions of fossils can't be wrong!