[asdf-devel] Git merge practice

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Sat Mar 13 11:48:30 UTC 2010

On 13 March 2010 13:19, Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus at random-state.net> wrote:

> commit 4158a412c3ed75c027a47996b52057e812e8b5ed
> Merge: 50e98da... 9b5eaf9...
> Author: Francois-Rene Rideau <fare at tunes.org>
> Date:   Fri Mar 12 10:51:42 2010 -0500
>
>    Merge branch 'master' of http://common-lisp.net/project/asdf/asdf
>
>    Conflicts:
>        README.asdf-output-translations

Correction: I just looked at this in gitk, and realized it wasn't a
feature branch, but just a pull from the main repository resulting in
a merge followed by a push.

While this is not end of the world by any means, IMO it would be nice
to keep the history clean.

Ways to do this:

A) If you have been doing minor work directly on your local master,
use "git pull --rebase" to update before pushing. If you get a
conflict, rewrite your work on top of the current state. (Consider
this particular case: Fare's changes to
README.asdf-output-translations were obliterated by the merge which
deleted the entire file: pushing this commit makes no sense to me.)

B) If you have been working on a local feature branch, first update
master with a pull, then merge feature branch into master, then push.
If you get a conflict, amend the commit message to explain it and its
resolution unless it is trivial.

> </end of sermon>

Really, this time. Sorry about nitpickery.