[asdf-devel] output-translations documentation

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:31:01 UTC 2010

On 12 March 2010 11:53, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> What's the way to make ALL the systems so that a file foo.lisp gets its
> fasl into <foo.lisp directory>/<implementation>/foo.fasl ?

This isn't possible with the current A-O-T, since A-O-T tries
to resolve the mappings statically.
I could modify A-O-T to make it possible to do what you say.

It strikes me as a bad idea, but if there's popular demand,
I don't see why not let people have what they want,
as long as it's not the default.

>>> Does this mean that A-O-T by default always does the equivalent of
>>> *centralize-binaries* in A-B-L?
>>>
>> Yes. That is the default configuration indeed.
>> It should be documented prominently.
>>
>> If you think it's wrong, it's still time to revert this default
>> before ASDF 2 is released.
>
> I don't think that this is what anyone expects; I would think that
> making centralization not be the default would be more appropriate, but
> if the community feels differently, that's fine, too.

CLC and CL-Launch use centralization, and no one seems to complain
(maybe because no one use CL-Launch; but CLC seems to be somewhat used).
Centralization is just *required* when source comes in shared locations
where users don't have write access. So it's a better universal default.

I'd rather have no translation by default than this decentralized mess.
At least, it would make it clear that you need to configure things.
But Centralized FASLs strike me as something that will work everywhere.

>> That's a great idea.
>> function ASDF:ASDF-BINARY-LOCATION-COMPATIBILITY-MODE
>> would take keyword arguments :centralize-binaries, etc.,
>> with proper defaults.
>>
>> We probably also want a simple function to disable A-O-T.
>
> OK, thanks.  I'll work on this.  But note that I still don't know how to
> replicate A-B-L with *centralize-binaries* NIL.

I'll make that happen next week.

Free Market is not the end of every large-scale economical problem;
but it's the beginning to any long-term solution to anyone of them.

Free Software is not the end of every large-scale software problem;
but it's the beginning to any long-term solution to anyone of them.

Freedom is not the end of every large-scale problem;
but it's the beginning to any long-term solution to anyone of them.
		— Faré