[asdf-devel] ASDF manual lisp installation directions

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Mar 11 23:53:45 UTC 2010

Going over the manual to tidy it up, I was quite surprised to read this:

   The default location for a user to install Common Lisp software is
under `~/.local/share/common-lisp/source/'.

This seems /very/ odd.  Why would I want to install software in a
location 'ls' is going to hide from me?

For conventional programs, I stick the source in ~/src and I put my
executables in ~/bin.  It wouldn't even occur to me to stick them
somewhere where I couldn't find them without something like 'ls -a'.

Furthermore, since I work on my lisp code most of the day, it wouldn't
occur to me to hide them four levels deep behind a hidden directory.

Do most lisp users stick things in ~/.local ?  And if so, why????

Thanks,