[asdf-devel] asdf:around method

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 13:46:20 UTC 2010

>> Oh my, the asdf:around fiasco again. ABCL apparently uses an old
>> version of ASDF to avoid a lot DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION.
>>
>> Couldn't we instead just have a do-perform function do the wrapping
>> stuff and call perform gf, and skip that method-combination
>> complication?
>>
>> Is there a good reason to use this method-combination protocol? Does
>> anyone rely on either defining asdf:around methods or on calling
>> perform directly and having it do the restart magic?
>
> A lot of people use the Stale Fasl recipe at
>
>  http://www.cliki.net/asdf
>
> which was the reason that prompted introducing the custom
> method combination.

I certainly want to support this kind of recipe. I believe wrapping
the one call to perform in a do-perform generic function that handles
the restarts the way the asdf:around method currently does will provide
this functionality.

> Long form of D-M-C is in the works for ABCL from what I know.

Well, I suppose we can wait a bit. If by the time we're done documenting 2.0
they still have no deadline for D-M-C, we can think about removing it.

No woman ever falls in love with a man unless she has
a better opinion of him than he deserves.	— Edgar Watson Howe