[asdf-devel] never ending component relative pathnames [2]

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 16:53:41 UTC 2010

Dear James,

On 8 March 2010 11:08, james anderson <james.anderson at setf.de> wrote:
> please find referenced below, a suggestion as to the use cases which
> the component pathname computation should support.[1]

specifying :pathname arguments to ASDF components as strings had NEVER
been working portably before ASDF 1.630. The current behavior might
not fit all the non-portable expectations that someone or some other
might have fancied at some point, but 1- it is now portable, and 2-
any previous non-portable expectation can still achieved with a simple
#p prefix to your namestring. Therefore, I think the current behavior
is 100% better than the previous one. It indeed needs to be better
documented, though.

It would be nice if from your file was extracted a test for the actually
supported combinations. I'd include that in the ASDF test suite.
As for the non-supported combinations, well, they are not supported,
never have been, and probably never will.

Note interestingly that #p"..." pathnames other than logical pathnames
are not portable either, are not supported, and should NOT be tested
in the test-suite.

>  - if a logical pathname is specified as a string, it is not
> correctly coerced to a logical pathname. in sbcl it causes an error.
> in ccl the pathname is wrong.
Not supported. Never will be. Please use #p for that.

>  - if a relative pathname is specified for a source file, either the
> file name is missing in the component pathname or the type is missing
> depending on the declaration.
Can you give an example?

> there may be some combinations for which the expected target is wrong
> - with the consequent false positive/negative.
> if one could eliminate the systematic failures, should any still
> remain, we can look again.
If you can produce a list of failures in cases that should be
supported, that'd be great.

>  [1] : http://github.com/lisp/de.setf.asdf.x/blob/master/test/cp-test.lisp
>  [2] : http://github.com/lisp/de.setf.asdf.x/blob/master/test/cp-test-results-fasl.txt
>  [3] : http://github.com/lisp/de.setf.asdf.x/blob/master/test/cp-test-results-dfsl.txt

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned
into. — Jonathan Swift