[asdf-devel] Is this a bug? or my error?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 19:11:28 UTC 2010

>> The contents of laturk-unique.asd:
>>
>> (in-package :asdf)
>> (defsystem "laturk-unique"
>>   :version "0.1.0"
>>   :name "laturk-unique"
>>   :author "Louis A. Turk"
>>   :description "Converts utf-8 text file to list of sorted unique
>> words."
>>   :components ((:file "packages")
>>                (:file "iterate" :depends-on ("packages"))
>>                (:file "collate" :depends-on ("iterate"))
>>                (:file "laturk-unique" :depends-on ("collate"))))
>
> A couple of random suggestions:
>
> 1.  Don't put this into the :asdf package.  If you want to, create your
> own package, using ASDF and COMMON-LISP, and put the definition in there
> (there's some debate about whether this is strictly necessary, but
> that's a subtlety we don't need to go into now).

I beg to disagree. If you're not going to define new bindings,
and particularly if you're not even going to intern new symbols,
there's nothing wrong with being in package ASDF.

> 2.  Don't rely on transitive closure for dependencies.  E.g., probably
> collate depends on packages as well as iterate and similarly for
> laturk-unique.

Here too I beg to disagree. Unless and until there is a tool for which
this makes a difference, the only criterion for choosing what dependencies
to explicitly include is what makes for a more maintainable result,
at which point the author knows best.

> There's nothing obviously wrong with the above, though.  Question:  can
> you give us more information about what happens when you do
>
> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :laturk-unique)
>
> (or, if you're using asdf2, (asdf:load-system :laturk-unique) )?
>
> I'm not sure it it's failing to find ANY of your files or only
> collate.lisp --- is collate.lisp the first one it tries to open?
>
> Also, when you get this error, collect a backtrace from the debugger and
> pass it on, please.

Yup. Also, tell us in what directories things are, and whether you made
any changes to ASDF default settings.

Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs. — Henry Ford