[asdf-devel] Performance hit in TRUENAMIZE

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 16 21:35:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:54 AM, edgar <edgar-rft at web.de> wrote:

> I think the main problem here is that some implementations
> (notably CLISP) differ between files and directories, so
> PROBE-FILE cannnot be used to probe files AND directories.

Well, SBCL and ECL do not have that problem, AFAIK. But TRUENAMIZE also
seems to be used with files, not directories, from what I could gather
during the debugging of ASDF. I would abstract those calls into a function
PROBE-FILE-AND-DIRECTORY and use PROBE-FILE internally in this function. The
purpose would be clear and sensible  implementations might profit from that
-- maybe the terrible startup times for ASDF might be decreased this way.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)