[asdf-devel] default source registry...

dherring at tentpost.com dherring at tentpost.com
Mon Feb 22 17:45:52 UTC 2010

> Should we base our search path on the XDG Base Directory Specification?
>  http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
> To the point of actually using getenv to get these search paths?
>
> I say we should.
>
> The default configuration files should be
> $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/common-lisp/source-registry.conf
> $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/common-lisp/source-registry.conf.d/
>
> And the default search path should include
> $XDG_DATA_DIRS/common-lisp/systems/
> $XDG_DATA_DIRS/common-lisp/source//
>
> The default cache path should be under
> $XDG_CACHE_HOME/common-lisp/

The config dirs stuff looks good.  Systems and sources do not belong under
DATA dirs.  If the cache path specifies where fasls get dumped, I'm
ambivalent whether it belongs in CACHE_HOME.

Are there specs regarding how XDG works on apple or mswin platforms?

Also note that systems like KDE support XDG in addition to their own
heirarchy.  There are benefits to keeping your apples away from your
oranges.
http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/XDG_Filesystem_Hierarchy
http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/KDE_Filesystem_Hierarchy

XDG is a win if you're trying to share trash cans and desktop files
between window managers.  I don't see how CL fits in; but XDG does appear
to have a reasonable description of how things work.

- Daniel