[asdf-devel] patch for component-relative-pathname

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 20:47:03 UTC 2010

On 19 February 2010 06:49, james anderson <james.anderson at setf.de> wrote:
> this problem has been in asdf "forever".
> i have always just patched it locally, but as i've now thrown a few
> things in the net which other folks should be able to build, i
> suggested the correction.

Thanks for the correction.

> it might make sense to consider an entirely different protocol for
> constructing the component pathnames.
> in order to better predict the result, asdf-x tries to turn the
> protocol around and do it from the top down, rather always on-demand
> from the bottom up. the bottom-up protocol has to recurse to the root
> anyway in order to construct the intended pathnames.

The problem with an entirely different protocol is compatibility.
A change would break things for some people. Who? Where? I don't know.
It would break things for me, and I'm willing to deal with it,
but would it break things for someone, somewhere who will be pissed off?
Maybe, maybe not. Who's to take the risk?

If you're into designing better protocols for better tools, why not jump
on the XCVB bandwagon where you don't have anyone to be incompatible with,
and plenty of room to do something useful instead of language lawyering?

I'm a polyatheist - there are many gods I don't believe in. - Dan Fouts