[asdf-devel] patch for component-relative-pathname

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Fri Feb 19 11:49:36 UTC 2010

this problem has been in asdf "forever".
i have always just patched it locally, but as i've now thrown a few
things in the net which other folks should be able to build, i
suggested the correction.

it might make sense to consider an entirely different protocol for
constructing the component pathnames.
in order to better predict the result, asdf-x tries to turn the
protocol around and do it from the top down, rather always on-demand
from the bottom up. the bottom-up protocol has to recurse to the root
anyway in order to construct the intended pathnames.

On 2010-02-19, at 12:25 , Faré wrote:

> Your fix pushed to 1.622. Oops, this is totally my fault, I kind of
> remember removing a similar binding from an earlier version of ASDF
> after a refactoring. I didn't understand the subtle way that
> *default-pathname-defaults* affects future make-pathname's as well as
> merge-pathnames.

it's not easy to follow. each runtime has its own opinion. it's not
an interesting problem.