[asdf-devel] minor suggestions

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Sat Feb 13 23:40:12 UTC 2010

On 2/13/10 Feb 13 -12:31 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:

>  * How about adding a TEST-OP to ASDF's asd?

I think there's a related launchpad ticket about this.  We don't have an
easy way to fire up subsidiary lisps from inside an ASDF job, and
especially don't have a good way to harvest results.  The ASDF tests all
require to be run in a separate lisp, because they don't clean up after
themselves -- there's a shell script involved.

I suppose one could build a perform method for asdf test-op that would
invoke the scripts and maybe grab up the output they splat onto the console.

Personally, I don't have the energy to do this --- the asdf tests work
well enough for me in their current form, and there are more urgent
itches to scratch.

Also, note that the existing tests are mostly black box tests.

It might be a better use of energy to write a test-op that would do unit
testing, and actually probe the behavior of individual functions, as a
complement to the existing black box tests.

Your second bullet suggests that this might be what you had in mind.

Cheers,