[asdf-devel] Trying again

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Fri Feb 12 17:44:17 UTC 2010

good afternoon;

> That whole mess needs to be teased apart before we can get a
> version of
> ASDF that will do the right thing there.

when one has a moment, one might look at asdf.x[1].  it suggests a
model for a teased-apart asdf, as well as a concrete reconstruction,
which closely resembles the original. while the particular
realization may not cover the eventual asdf-as-the-one-and-only
functionality, an argument that it leaves out essential structural
aspects might lead to useful insights.

in its terms, the present issue becomes
- whether the implemented dependency-qualified method for perform
does the 'right thing'?
- how other dependency qualified methods would be combined? it treats
them as standard around methods, but it is not clear that this is
correct.
- how is component-done-p to be implemented for various classes?
-- abstractly for modules, v/s systems v/s source files
-- concretely for systems which are interfaces v/s internal libraries
v/s applications.

---
[1]: http://github.com/lisp/de.setf.asdf.x