[asdf-devel] A dream for ASDF2

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Thu Feb 4 04:14:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Faré wrote:
> From experience I can tell you that precious little of what you
> propose will be implemented by anyone but yourself.

I understand that.  Hence the "dream".  But some parts of this are
low-hanging fruit.  In particular, I strongly recommend a generic config
facility rather than the ad-hoc system we seem to be moving towards.

> If I have a piece of advice, it would be: if you can find a way to
> write a CL plugin to OMake or Eclipse or GNU Make or autotools, or
> whatever, instead of recreating a whole build system, you win. I can
> tell you, recreating a whole build system sucks. And a very lonely
> job.

Trust me, we do not want to tie ASDF-N to any of the tools you mention.
Autotools is a best-of-breed due to its years of refinement; but it is
based on portable shell scripting (ick!).  Portable CL is much better.
In general, all these build tools are also tailored to other languages; so
there is no real way to make a first-class lisp solution.

As for the suckiness of creating a build system, few guess how well I
understand.

- Daniel

P.S.  Currently higher on my priority list:  getting ABLE running on
mswinxp.