[asdf-devel] Dependency issues with module sub-class

Scott Bell sblist at me.com
Wed Feb 3 16:32:04 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

Recently, in order to increase the modularity of our project's ASDF
dependencies, I introduced a sub-class of MODULE called GROUP.
We wanted to keep all of our main .lisp files in the toplevel, so the
purpose of the class is simply to define a method for the
COMPONENT-RELATIVE_PATHNAME generic function. The problem
that I'm experiencing is that the dependencies at the MODULE (GROUP)
level don't appear to be established (i.e. modifying one group does not
cause its dependents to be re-compiled). Here is a snippet of the code:

;; a GROUP is an ASDF component whose files are located in its parent
;; component's directory.
(defclass group (module) ())

(defmethod component-relative-pathname ((component group))
  (make-pathname :host (pathname-host
                        (component-pathname (component-parent component)))))

(defsystem :foo
  :components
  ((:file "packages")
   (:group "x"