[asdf-devel] Is this necessary in this form? Re: ASDF 1.501

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:17:53 UTC 2010

I agree with James that a bootstrapped asdf would be elegant.
Unhappily it wouldn't be practical. asdf being only one file is very
useful for many reasons. It being one directory would not be too bad,
but still one file is better. pjb has a nice suggestion that we could
split it in many files and have some build tool concatenate those
files for distribution. That would work for me, but nowhere near at
the top of my todo list.

As pjb says, my main concerns are about

>  (a) Upgradability
Making asdf self-upgradable, so we no more have the horror of having
to deal with antique prepackaged asdf's.

>  (b) Site and user configuration
Minimizing setup complexity for non-experts.

>  (c) Asdf binary locations / asdf output locations
ABL was already merged into ASDF by gwking. While I think it was a
generally good move, it fails (b), and I think can and should be
redone better.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for
without receiving. — Adrian Rogers