[asdf-devel] Is this necessary in this form? Re: ASDF 1.501

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Tue Feb 2 12:46:00 UTC 2010

good morning;

Are these additions necessary? In this form?
I had wanted to propose a patch to one method and thought it
appropriate to update before offering the diff for review.
I now have 1.502 and observe, that `asdf.lisp`, which had 56,684 as
of a version ca 2009-06-17 (it has a $Format version only), has grown
through 87,098, to 98,665 through version 1.374 to 1.502. This is not
a little.

I understand that for some use-cases binary locations are thought to
be indispensable.
I have read the lauchpad bug descriptions and the livejournal essay,
but remain unconvinced that the suggested additions are a good idea.

Is it necessary to double to size to include - as an 'all-or-nothing'
version, functions which are not strictly necessary? I never had a
good feeling about a configuration system which introduced itself to
the world with the conclusion "Hence, all in one file", and am ever
less convinced that it needs to be that way. There is something not
quite right about adding a configuration system to a configuration
system for a dynamic, introspective language. It's not a meta-
circular matter here, just getting namespaces straight and
bootstrapping. I offer for discussion an alternative[1], which
appends to asdf.lisp an operator which bootstraps the system. Just
because asdf system manipulation operators are insufficiently
documented and inscrutable in their effects, does not mean they need
be re-implemented in another model/namespace. There is also a patch
to make absolute module locations work, because that is how I express
my additions to the `asdf.asd` file, and one to (maybe) add mcl to
the binary locations, but they are not central to this issue.

The additions referenced in the `.asd` delta are also up there[2].
One of them an extension to support hierarchical system names. The
other implements contingent dependency. Their directory also includes
mechanisms to generate and graph system definitions from a live
image, but I'll need to prepare more stuff for public consumption
before they're useful and - at least for the moment, they're limited
to mcl/ccl.

Your thoughts?

-------
[1]: http://github.com/lisp/net.comon-lisp.asdf