[asdf-devel] Replace *DEFAULT-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Dec 23 23:54:56 UTC 2010

On 12/23/10 Dec 23 -4:36 PM, Thomas M. Hermann wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I'm not arguing that ASDF is broken, rather that the default behavior is
> not explicitly defined. The benefit I envision is defined behavior
> versus implementation dependent behavior.

Right.  I'm not sure where to draw the line.  I am by and large very
happy that my /programs/ are not implementation-dependent.  However, for
example, I find that there are a number of things about the
/environment/ my usual implementation provides me, and I would be
reluctant to give those up.

Since this is a matter of environment, I'm inclined to think we don't
need to smooth over implementation differences here.  Others' opinions
may differ.

Also, I don't know whether people who use more than one implementation
are really the majority of ASDF users.  I wouldn't be surprised if we
were a majority of ASDF maintainers, but our preferences (which might
lie in having, e.g., portable configurations) might well be
unrepresentative.

Best,