[asdf-devel] Should ASDF define many packages?

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Tue Aug 31 20:33:18 UTC 2010

On 31 August 2010 22:03, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 August 2010 12:55, Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus at random-state.net> wrote:

>> Exporting random internal utilities from ASDF is a terrible idea, IMO.
>>
> The utilities are not completely random. I use them, and other people use them.

The word was ill-chosen. What I ment was that they appear to have very
little with the rest of ASDF looking from outside in.

Robert's point regarding lack of portable pathname wrangling tools is
also well made.

Looking at the export list the following are the ones that "look
random" to me -- having little obvious relation to res of ASDF:

            #:aif
            #:appendf
            #:coerce-name
            #:ends-with
            #:length=n-p
            #:read-file-forms
            #:remove-keys
            #:remove-keyword
            #:split-string
            #:while-collecting

Then again, it is certainly a reasonable to say that you don't export
anyone to :use ASDF in a general purpose package, that only ASDF
extensions and system definition files should do that -- and that
since depending on external utility packages is nasty for those, ASDF
comes with a some extra goodies.

*shrug*

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus