[asdf-devel] Optional dependencies

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 11:35:40 UTC 2010

Dear Tobias,

I personally think this "weakly-depends-on" is a horrible mess.

If you want FOO, require FOO. If you want FOO+READTABLE, require FOO+READTABLE.

And so have two systems FOO and FOO+READTABLE. I think that's what the
dwim.hu guys now do. It also works better with XCVB, this way.

> I'd think ASDF should include a ./configure step (there
> are extension for that kind of thing out there), and
> should then save configuration choices persistently,
> and check for these when loading a system.

I think this can be external to ASDF itself. At ITA, we have scripts
that do things like that. My, it's ugly. Trying to get rid of it.

Mathematics is the Queen of Science but she isn't very Pure; she keeps
having babies by handsome young upstarts and various frog princes.
  — Donald Kingsbury (In "psychohistorical crisis", 2001)