[asdf-devel] ASDF 2.0 requirements : simplify the output locations mechanism

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 21 10:12:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM, james anderson <james.anderson at setf.de>wrote:

> further experiments demonstrated that - with changes to the scripts
> to account for functions which would be removed, all regression tests
> pass, and that with appropriate initialization, a multi-runtime build
> is supported for the normal abcl/acl/ccl/clisp/cmucl/ecl/lw/sbcl
> complement.
>
> that is, the multi-runtime build included ecl. for which the expression of
> the functional requirements was the conditionalization in the output-files
> method. if that is the extent of the requirement, then ecl is taken into
> account.

I presume those tests only use the _default_ build system, not ECL's
extensions. Your patches were produced against 1.5 and there the
OUTPUT-FILES would only return one file, even for ECL.

However, once we integrated ECL's extensions, these produce  two object
files, and I fail to see from your patch how the output files are handled --
from what I can see, since the OUTPUT-FILES method does not have an :AROUND,
the output of ECL's extensions is not translated: they just take the source
file produce a compile-file pathname and that's it. In other words: it is
going to work, but it is going to have files laying around, both translated
and not.

I suppose in your model developers are expected to integrate an explicit
call to component-translate-pathname in every method they define for
output-files.

no, in that system instantiation protocol includes a step which
> (effectively) walks the model to compute a location for each component.

Indeed, I find this an interesting approach, independently of what method is
used for translation, but I see a problem if a user decides to temporarily
deactivate translations or change the destination of a system. Right now it
amounts to changing the translation table. With your model it involves
re-reading and rebuilding the system and components.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)