[asdf-devel] :ASDF-DEPENDENCIES implemented

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 18:01:42 UTC 2010

I pushed Juanjo's patch for :ASDF-DEPENDENCIES as 1.704, except that I
renamed the feature :SYSTEM-DEPENDENCIES. Maybe it should have been
:SYSTEM-DEPENDS-ON. Ahem. You tell me what you think.

As for optional dependencies, I think things like
ASDF-SYSTEM-CONNECTIONS are a walking nightmare, and horrible bugs
waiting to happen. If you want to layer your system, just have
foo-minimal or foo-core for the core functionality, and foo or foo-all
for the whole system with all the dependencies. Trying to confuse the
two under one name is but bugs waiting to happen.

Finally, considering the naming of things in the target package before
it has been defined -- cl-launch usually stores forms like that as a
string to be read and eval'ed after the system has been loaded. XCVB
on the other hand has a call procedure that takes package + symbol
designators as arguments to specify what to funcall after the package
is ready.

"I think sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it." — Monty Python