[asdf-devel] structured dependencies mechanism broken

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Sun Apr 18 14:43:17 UTC 2010

On 4/18/10 Apr 18 -9:00 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> I know there are bug reports in launchpad, and that this has been
> expelled from 2.0 as of not urgent fix, but seems the latest changes
> have broken it beyond fix.
>
> I was playing with the following system (yes, I know the syntax is
> wrong), to make :feature at some point more useful but a simple
> experiment reveals that the structure dependency is being pushed into
> the list returned by COMPONENT-DEPENDS-ON and that this list causes an
> error in COMPONENT-SELF-DEPENDENCIES.
>
> (defsystem :foo
>   :components
>   ((:file "foo1" :depends-on ((:feature :foo-method1)))
>    (:file "foo2" :depends-on ((:feature (not :foo-method1))))))
>
> * (asdf:load-system :foo)
> [...]
> ; file: /Users/jjgarcia/devel/asdf-decl/examples/feature/../../asdf.lisp
> (CERROR "Continue nonetheless."
>         "Congratulations, you're the first ever user of FEATURE
> dependencies! Please contact the asdf-devel mailing-list.")
> 0] (continue)
>
> debugger invoked on a TYPE-ERROR:
>   The value (:FEATURE :FOO-METHOD1)
>   is not of type
>     (OR (VECTOR CHARACTER) (VECTOR NIL) BASE-STRING SYMBOL CHARACTER).
>
> Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
>   0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.
>
> (STRING= "foo1" (:FEATURE :FOO-METHOD1))[:EXTERNAL]
> 0]

I suspect this is largely my fault.  I was reporting that ASDF Classic
had /two/ ways of processing a :FEATURE dependency, and that this was
undesirable.  However, the error message above suggests that I may have
tricked Faré into removing the wrong one.  See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/asdf/+bug/518467

Let's move this discussion to a launchpad ticket.  If we decide that
this example here is valid, then let us also turn Juanjo's example into
a new test case.

Best,