[asdf-devel] :in-order-to

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 16 08:33:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:01 AM, james anderson <james.anderson at setf.de>wrote:

> you will need to elaborate on why this matters. the primary dependencies
> are all in a list which is bound to the in-order-to slot.
> the :in-order-to initarg is just circumstantially involved in this. most of
> the initialization value is collected from the other dependency initargs.

Yes, but everything is transformed into an in-order to internally when
parsing the system definition. The result is a duplicated list of
dependencies :in-order-to load-op and :in-order-to compile-op.

The additional problem is that right now we have a dichotomy between load
and load-src-op and apart from the cases in which :in-order-to is used for
testing, the other cases just write dependencies for one of the operations
and not for the other.

The third problem is that the in-order to mechanism does not provide any
kind of inheritance and if I tried to write a fix for load-src-op that
creates the hierarchy

operation
+- compile-op
+- load-op
    +- compile-and-load-op
    +- load-source-op

this does not work.

your remarks suggest that you fail to appreciate how broken i believe
> traverse to be.[1]

Your remarks fail to appreciate how good and useful I believe a properly
written traverse could be.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC