[asdf-devel] ASDF2 cache control?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Apr 5 13:12:05 UTC 2010

On 4/4/10 Apr 4 -9:50 PM, Faré wrote:
>> I would in order prefer the following:
>>
>> 1.  disable output-translations by default.
>>
> I think we can't do that, because of things like system-installed source code
> and users who use both clisp and ecl (that share the .fas suffix) or
> i386 and x86-64 SBCL (that share the .fasl suffix), etc.
>
> If a novice wants to know where the fasls are, I prefer to give the explanation
> once than to give plenty of explanations with as many special rules.

Ah.  I see.  Then is there a "disable output translations for MY files,
and do the right thing with system installed code"?

I agree with you about people who use clisp and ecl, multiple SBCLs, ACL
+ SBCL, but I'm not convinced that those people are common enough that
we should arrange the world around them.  I am, after all, one of these
people and I am a user of ASDF-BINARY-LOCATIONS.

However, there are a lot of people out there who use only a single CL.
Indeed, I work with them, both in my company and out.

>> 2.  provide a clean disable-output-translations.
>>
> Done in 1.665: (asdf:disable-output-translations)

Given your remarks above, is this going to do something bad, by wrecking
system-installed code?

What I would like us to be able to offer is something that will feel
like classic ASDF (or, for that matter, COMPILE-FILE) --- if you have
foo.lisp, you get foo.fasl (or whatever), by default, next to foo.lisp.
 If you don't want that, we have something way better to offer you in
asdf-output-translations.  But if you /do/ want that, how do you get it?

Thanks,