[asdf-devel] ASDF2 cache control?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 15:16:13 UTC 2010

Oops, the website is out of date. We really ought to fix that.

I just added this FAQ to the manual (in doc/asdf.texinfo):

@subsection ``How can I wholly disable the compiler output cache?''

To permanently disable the compiler output cache
for all future runs of ASDF, you can:

@example
mkdir -p ~/.config/common-lisp/asdf-output-translations.conf.d/
echo ':disable-cache' >
~/.config/common-lisp/asdf-output-translations.conf.d/99-disable-cache.conf
@end example

This assumes that you didn't otherwise configure the ASDF files
(if you did, edit them again),
and don't somehow override the configuration at runtime
with a shell variable (see below) or some other runtime command
(e.g. some call to @code{asdf:initialize-output-translations}).

To disable the compiler output cache in Lisp processes
run by your current shell, try (assuming @code{bash} or @code{zsh}):

@example
export ASDF_OUTPUT_TRANSLATIONS=/:
@end example

To disable the compiler output cache just in the current Lisp process,
use (after loading ASDF but before using it):

@example
(asdf:initialize-output-translations "/:")
@end example

Statists seek the solution to all human problems in arbitrary political power
and bureaucracies above society. They choose to ignore that when they are not
all too humans, politicians and bureaucrats are oh so inhuman.