[asdf-devel] Two questions

Nick Levine ndl at ravenbrook.com
Wed Sep 30 10:28:28 UTC 2009

   Maybe what you want is #+frob (:file "foo")

Ideally not, as you'd have to remember to reload all your .asd files
every time you messed with features.

If this isn't what :feature does, then what is it for?

   > 2. Suppose I would like some code to run at compile-time /
   > load-time to determine where the fasls should live
   > (e.g. hypothetically, in a subdirectory named after a timestamp,
   > or according to what patches I have loaded). How do I express
   > this?

   You can define your own :around method on output-files, and/or
   override default methods. See how ASDF-BINARY-LOCATIONS (now part
   of ASDF 1.366 and later) does it.

Hmm, that's an improvement. (Otoh writing about a rapidly moving
target is tricky. Each time I review this it's changed.)

   Note that with XCVB, you can :depends-on (:when (:featurep :frob)
   "foo") and you can xcvb --object-directory obj-$(timestamp) ...

OK. So you still can't say: look for the :frob feature and decide
whether to include this component?

Thanks,

- n