[asdf-devel] ASDF features under discussion

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Sep 23 05:54:50 UTC 2009

Daniel Herring wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Nikodemus Siivola wrote:
>> 2009/8/19 Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com>:
>>
>>> First the question. What is the level of integration of ASDF with
>>> different implementations? Does ASDF support all lisp implementations
>>> equally? Does SBCL (and perhaps other) ship the latest versions of
>>> ASDF?
>> (Sorry for the late answer.) SBCL ships with a periodically updated
>> upstream ASDF.
>>
>> That is, it might not be the latest bleeding-edge one for each
>> release, but the intention is that the one SBCL comes with contains no
>> modifications. Historically this has not always been true, I think,
>> but it has been the intention.
>
> IMO, ASDF should be augmented with (stable) hooks into REQUIRE for all
> capable lisps.  It should similarly try to handle all reasonable
> variations required by implementations.

What do you mean by the above exactly?  That (require 'asdf) should work
everywhere?  Or do you mean that (require 'foo) should try to asdf-load
foo everywhere?  The latter seems more controversial, since
implementations may have already decided they want to do something else
with require and provide.

best,