[asdf-devel] *ASDF-REVISION*

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Sep 8 15:23:59 UTC 2009

On somewhat more mature consideration,
I believe that this problem, to the extent it is a problem, simply comes
from misplacing the operation of inserting the revision number into the
file.  Currently, the operation is done at the point of exporting
asdf.lisp into a tarball.  In my previous email (unfortunately only in a
footnote), I proposed a technique for moving the revision insertion from
export to tag application.  I believe that if the makefile (or some
shell script) is modified in the way I propose, everyone should be happy.

This modification would make no additional work for Gary, and would lift
the burden of massaging the source file from everyone running ASDF from
a git checkout.  It would have the added benefit of removing 16 lines of
lisp source that do fussy string manipulations to set *asdf-revision*.
This seems like a good trade-off --- a few lines of shell script or
makefile provides an easy operation for Gary (and simplifies the
export), and saves work for the development community.

Would this be an acceptable solution?