[asdf-devel] ASDF test-op question

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Oct 8 16:23:32 UTC 2009

Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
> Robert Goldman writes:
>
>> 2.  Returning a single operation isn't enough, is it?  For example, if I
>> have system X, with sub-systems A, B, and C, I may be testing A, B, and
>> C, so my traversal would have to gather up the three subsidiary test-op
>> entities and either package them into the parent test-op object, or rip
>> the test results out of them and push them into the parent test-op
>> object.  I don't believe the plan-then-execute logic of ASDF makes this
>> easy, but I may be wrong.
>
> Does performing TEST-OP on a sytem really result in testing all the
> system's dependencies? Or did you mean something else?

We often have large structured systems where testing system X is done by
testing subsidiary systems A, B, and C that X depends on.

Consider, for example, if one were to write a test-op for CLSQL.  One
might then have subsidiary systems for the various DB backends, and one
would have the test-op for CLSQL run the test-op on each backend (or
some subset of the backends that are turned on).

best,