[asdf-devel] ASDF test-op question

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Oct 2 18:56:38 UTC 2009

Gary King wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Ignoring any thinking about your actual questions <smile>...
>
>> This operation should test the specified component. ASDF does not
>> (currently) provide a method for returning a value from the test-op (or
>> any other operation),
>
> This is no longer true; ADSF does return the operation so if there was
> also a way for test systems to annotate the operation, some things would
> become well.

I don't believe that this is a general solution, for two reasons:

1.  The test frameworks aren't particularly set up to stick stuff onto
ASDF objects.  I suppose if they write to streams that we create, then
we can save the stream contents to a string and save them in the
operations, though.  It will be a burden on writing the test-op
menthods, too.

2.  Returning a single operation isn't enough, is it?  For example, if I
have system X, with sub-systems A, B, and C, I may be testing A, B, and
C, so my traversal would have to gather up the three subsidiary test-op
entities and either package them into the parent test-op object, or rip
the test results out of them and push them into the parent test-op
object.  I don't believe the plan-then-execute logic of ASDF makes this
easy, but I may be wrong.

I will have to have a look into the latest code and see how the
operations are returned.  Thanks for the pointer.

best,