[asdf-devel] ASDF:OOS LOAD-OP :FORCE T and SBCL contribs

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed May 13 14:54:56 UTC 2009

Nikodemus Siivola wrote:
> 2009/5/13 Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info>:
>
>> Ah.  I see.  Question:  do we foresee some protocol for infiltrating the
>> find-system process so that an installer can drop an ancillary file in
>> that will be loaded before or after the system definition file that is
>> written by the developer.
>
> I'm not sure I follow -- specifically I'm not sure what you mean by
> installer in this context.
>
> For *my* purposes I see this being something that is best handled in
> site/user initialization files. In case of SBCL contribs, we might
> start installing a default
>
>   /usr/local/lib/sbcl/sbclrc
>
> or alternatively appending the code to each .asd file we install (eugh).

I was also thinking "eugh" in response to that alternative.  So I
figured it might be desirable to allow an installer to take an upstream
library, together with its .asd file, and modify only his/her version of
find-system so that when <library>.asd was loaded, we would also look
for (for example) <library>.install or <library>.config, and load those
right after the .asd file to impose any necessary site-specific
configuration.

That would handle configuration that's specific to a given library maybe
 more easily than a single sbclrc file.

This would also permit site configuration for sites that use multiple
lisp implementations.

Best,
Robert