[asdf-devel] ASDF:OOS LOAD-OP :FORCE T and SBCL contribs

Richard M Kreuter kreuter at progn.net
Tue May 12 13:23:24 UTC 2009

Gary King writes:
> >> Perhaps a better solution would be to export OPERATION-FORCED and
> >> TRAVERSE, so that this could be deal with where-ever is needed --
> >> especially in local initialization files for systems installed in
> >> read-only locations. The SBCL solution would look about the same --
> >> it just would not reside inside asdf.lisp.
> >>

> > This seems like a reasonable solution.
>
> I agree. There are probably two items here:
>
> 1. Allowing a system definer to say "don't descend into this sub-
> system" even when :force is t.

This sounds fishy to me.  AFAIU, system definers aren't supposed to be
able to make decisions about installation, at least in part because the
author of a system can't really know what the user's installation
requirements are.  (Cf. the rationale for telling users to customize
fasl location with a method on OUTPUT-FILES.)

--
Richard