[asdf-devel] Could ASDF subsume faslpath?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Jun 10 14:50:00 UTC 2009

Gary King wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> faslpath looks... interesting but inflexible. It seems to make the
> package file equivalent to the system definition. I'm not sure how it
> would integrate. Are you suggesting
>
> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'foo :use-faslpath t)
>
> or something like that?

I don't mean to seem negative, but my reaction is like Gary's.  I don't
like the java-style rigidity of the file->package->filesystem mapping
that faslpath enforces.

That said, if faslpath were to achieve some mindshare, it doesn't seem
like it would be hard to make asdf able to load dependencies that are
faslpath systems.

But until such mindshare appears, I'm disinclined to take on extra work
to support it.

Best,