[asdf-devel] [cclan-list] How to depend on a system optionally?

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Mon Jul 20 20:12:10 UTC 2009

On 2009-07-20, at 21:10 , Robert Goldman wrote:

> james anderson wrote:

>>> Doesn't :WEAKLY-DEPENDS-ON do what you want?
>>
>> there is at least one more kind of dependency between two components:
>> "contingency".

> Did this discussion ever go anywhere?
>
> James, would it be possible for you to resend this email with the
> tables
> given as a text attachment, rather than as inline text?  I don't know
> about the rest of the list, but my client (Thunderbird) turned your
> tables into complete and utter gibberish.

[i suspect it was because i neglected to disable line-wrapping before
i sent the message.]

to summarize:

in addition to simple and weak dependency, there is at least one more
kind of dependency between two components: "contingency".

in order to manage a system for multiple runtimes, each of which
entails it's own foreign libraries, i have found it useful to add a
constraint called "contingent-on". this may-or-may-not be what you
intend with "optionally-depend-on". i have found it useful to express
the constraints:

   "if a feature|system 'X' is present, then system|component 'Y' is
required, and depends on 'X'. if 'X' is not present, do nothing."

i attach an html file which describes, as a table, the relation
between system model state and operations.