[asdf-devel] patch system-source-file

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Jul 14 16:56:29 UTC 2009

james anderson wrote:
> hello;
>
> i am not sure, exactly to which message to reply - i suspect i'm
> missing parts of the thread.
> in any case,
>
> 1. when dealing with a large system, latent unbound slots are
> insidious. an initialization protocol should either provide a default
> value which  is within the class contract, or it should signal an
> exception - most likely an error. that is, in the minimal form,
> either the slot should be defined as
>
>   (slot :initarg :slot :initform (error "SLOT required."))
>
> or initialize instance should be specialized to effect
>
>   (defmethod initialize-instance (instance &key (slot (error "SLOT
> required."))) (call-next-method))
>
> in which latter case there can be logic for the use case where a
> presence constraint applies to some combination(s) of a set of slots.
>
> absent such guards, the slot-unbound error will eventually occur at
> some point much later in the computation, far from the initialization
> time and site, in a manner which complicates the problem and obscures
> its resolution.

This is a good description of the general problem, but it overstates the
problem here.  Nobody should be setting these slots after they are set
(or not) in the defsystem form, so a slot-unbound error will not be
difficult to resolve.  However, it /might/ create a cumbersome nuisance
for code that wishes to process asdf components.

Unfortunately, these slots are not required and are often left unset.

I think our debate boils down to figuring out what it means to "provide
a default value which is within the class contract" in a way that won't
make too much of a nuisance for asdf component object consumers.

> 2. the slot type should be extended to (or NULL string) only if there
> is some form of slot-group interaction - as noted above, or if the
> value NIL is really acceptable to allow operators to produce correct
> results. the same for "".
>
> 3. the relation between extensions and &allow-other-keys does not
> come through in the messages i've been able to find for the thread.
> is it described succinctly somewhere?

We need to provide &allow-other-keys because people could, at any time,
add new subclasses of system.  OTOH, this isn't such a big problem
because at the end of the day the keyword arguments get passed into
make-instance, so will cause an error.  So this was a red herring (which
I introduced and for which I apologize).

> 4. if one would like to see the code at the version which constitutes
> the current approach to this issue, which revision should one pull?

I don't have a good answer for this, sorry.

I think that James clearly states the issues.  I propose we just try to
come to consensus on something like the following:

1.  We specify which of the system string initargs are actually optional.

then either

2a.  We specify these as being of type string and specify that they take
"" as a default.  Supplying NIL would be a type error.  For the benefit
of non-type-checking lisps, we could add :after methods on
initialize-instance to reject non-string values.

2b.  We specify that the type is (or null string) because we want to be
able to distinguish unsupplied from explicitly empty.

These both seem reasonable alternatives, as long as we state one of them
clearly.

If someone will express a clear preference that isn't shouted down, I'd
be happy to provide help either documenting or coding up support.

best,