[asdf-devel] Guard against (push "/foo/bar" asdf:*central-registry*)

Gary King gwking at metabang.com
Fri Jul 10 13:03:52 UTC 2009

>> Couldn't ASDF signal a warning when it encounters such a thing while
>> grovelling through the registry?
>
> Wouldn't it be more user-friendly to coerce such pathnames to ones
> that
> denote directory names?

It sounds like there are two questions:

* How to inform the user that something is wrong

* How to continue in the presence of the wrongosity

I agree with Robert that a cerror is better than a warning because
system loading already emits so much verbiage that a warning is likely
to be lost in the haze.

Today I'm more in the "fail quickly" camp and would rather ASDF signal
a continable error with two restarts:

	1. remove the confusing registry entry
	2. coerce it to a directory.

In either case, the registry will be corrected so that the cerror will
only happen once in a session. Also, if the user fixes the root
problem, it'll only happen once period!

Code example coming shortly,
--
Gary Warren King, metabang.com