[asdf-devel] Guard against (push "/foo/bar" asdf:*central-registry*)

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Thu Jul 9 19:56:32 UTC 2009

Richard M Kreuter writes:

> "Tobias C. Rittweiler" writes:
>
> > I think it's bitten pretty much all of us that we at least once tried to
> > push a non-directory-designating filename to *CENTRAL-REGISTRY*.
> >
> > It's a common pitfalls for newcomers.
> >
> > Couldn't ASDF signal a warning when it encounters such a thing while
> > grovelling through the registry?
>
> Wouldn't it be more user-friendly to coerce such pathnames to ones that
> denote directory names?

Yes, I think so. When I wrote my original posting, I was not sure
whether such a suggestion would be dismissed as unwished DWIM
behaviour, so I chose the more conservative suggestion.

I am not familiar with the intrinsics of the pathname system, so a silly
question about a possibly problematic case:

Let's say "/foo/bar" were a symlink pointing to a directory. Would
coercing that namestring to denote a directory correctly resolve the
symlink?

  -T.