[asdf-devel] How about a tabs versus spaces policy for asdf?

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Thu Dec 3 02:54:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Faré wrote:

> 2009/12/2 Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info>:
>> I should actually have been specific about something else:
>>
>> If we prefer spaces to tabs (and I will not attempt to stack my
>> eloquence and vituperation against jwz's), we should probably stick the
>> git-equivalent of a pre-commit-hook into the repo to refuse to accept tabs.
>>
>> Daniel --- is your git fu strong enough for this task?

It could be.  This would require putting the proper hooks/pre-commit file
in a .git directory.  Should it check all files in the project, or only
lisp sources?

> In either case, git-fu is nice. And if git-fu there be, can we also
> eliminate trailing whitespace?

See core.whitespace in the git-config manpage; by default git warns about
trailing whitespace.  Commands that apply patches (e.g. git-apply and
git-am) have an option to control this; --whitespace=error or
--whitespace=fix might be what you want.  This choice can be made
permanent by something like
# git config apply.whitespace error

Also look at the gitattributes manpage.

- Daniel