[asdf-devel] announce: ASDF 1.359

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Aug 24 18:32:15 UTC 2009

dherring at tentpost.com wrote:
> Robert Goldman wrote:
>> Would it be possible for us to add a short git briefing to the ASDF web
>> page materials?
>
> If you haven't already seen it, take a look at
> http://book.git-scm.com/

I've looked at it, but I'm not sure that's what's needed.  The problem
is that git is so much more flexible than other version control systems
(to the point where it has even been called a toolkit for building a
version control system).

So if I read the subversion redbook I pretty much know what to do with
svn.  But reading a book about git doesn't really get me all the way,
because it doesn't provide the recommended use case.

If you take a look at that email from the org-mode folks, it provides a
pretty specific use case for git that matches the fundamentally
centralized nature of org-mode development.  That is, when you run a git
clone of the org-mode code base, you do so in a way that optimizes the
development and submission of patches to Carsten and his crew for
incorporation in the main repository.

My best guess is that this is going to be a good model for ASDF, with
the possible exception that it might be nice to very clearly have a
release and one or more experimental versions for us to be able to
validate before new stuff makes the transition to release.  I don't see
a huge win to having a truly peer-to-peer revision control system for
ASDF, although others' opinions might vary.

best,