[asdf-devel] About regression tests and libraries

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 01:23:29 UTC 2009

Sorry to parasite this mailing-list, but I'm trying to design the
testing aspect of XCVB right now. The constraint is that we want to be
able to use make as a backend, and that test results should thus be
reified as files if we want to avoid re-running already-computed
tests.

My dim ideas about it include the following:
* test reports are targets depending on properly compiled fasls or images,
 produce test reports.
* a test report is a file the first form of which is a simple SEXP to
be read, following some standardized structure to specify overall
success, status of individual tests (including error message, maybe
information as to last success, etc.).
* from the test reports, a success witness (empty file) may be created
on success.
* the success witness fails to be created when the test wasn't a
success, triggering an error for make to catch.
* preparing the makefile erases the success witnesses.

If ASDF's test-op is to be standardized, may I suggest that we agree
on the format for a SEXP to be returned, that will report the test
results?

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
        -- Groucho Marx