Question about wild-pathnames

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Wed Jul 5 23:26:16 UTC 2023

In SBCL and Allegro, it's possible for UIOP to create a pathname for a
file whose name is "*" and then we can find a file with such a(n odd)
pathname.

On ABCL, though, this gives me an error:

     (truename (ensure-pathname "*"))

```
(truename (uiop:ensure-pathname "*"))
#<THREAD "interpreter" native {21C91F12}>: Debugger invoked on condition
of type FILE-ERROR
   Cannot find the TRUENAME for a wild pathname.
```

But actually, I don't think this *is* a wild pathname:

```
CL-USER(4): (describe (uiop:ensure-pathname "*"))
#P"*" is an object of type PATHNAME:
   HOST         NIL
   DEVICE       NIL
   DIRECTORY    NIL
   NAME         "*"
   TYPE         :UNSPECIFIC
   VERSION      NIL
```

*this* is a wild pathname:

```
CL-USER(5): (describe (parse-namestring "*"))
#P"*" is an object of type PATHNAME:
   HOST         NIL
   DEVICE       NIL
   DIRECTORY    NIL
   NAME         :WILD
   TYPE         NIL
   VERSION      NIL
```

Is this an ABCL bug, since it means ABCL cannot address a file whose
name is "*"?

The interested may refer to [this ASDF
issue](https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/asdf/asdf/-/issues/140) and the
corresponding merge request.