Why can't defstructs be redefined?

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 18:10:11 UTC 2022

Hi Alan,

On http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw70/CLHS/Body/m_defstr.htm, it
says right below named arguments documentation section (or differently put:
immediately above the "Predicate" section): The consequences of redefining
a *defstruct*
<http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw70/CLHS/Body/m_defstr.htm#defstruct>
structure are undefined.

You're running into that, I think.

Regards,

Erik.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 7:43 PM Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Anyone know this area of the compiler? It's very frustrating during
> development. Seems we ought to, at least, be able to blow away all traces
> of the defstruct, ignoring existing structures and redefine it. My attempt
> to do that the obvious way - removing the system::structure-definition
> property from the symbol plist of the struct name - allows the redefinition
> but sometimes errors out when I use the new structure.
>
> Anyways, I'd like to fix this, and any info would give me a head start.
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

http://efficito.com -- Hosted accounting and ERP.
Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.