Which repo SVN or GIT?

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sat Apr 30 12:02:36 UTC 2022

> On Apr 30, 2022, at 11:50, Blake McBride <blake at mcbride.name> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I am pretty sure we are keeping two parallel repos for ABCL, one in subversion and the other in GIT.  I thought two things:
>
> 1. They were kept in sync
> 2. The subversion repo was preferred

There is no preferred repository:  a sizable number of contributions have come in through the github.com interfaces.  The Subversion trunk provides the linear view of the Git DAG.

> I recently compared the two repos and discovered that:
>
> 1.  They are not in sync
> 2.  The GIT repo has the latest changes

They should be in sync: you will need to provide specific references if you find this not to be the case.  If they aren’t in sync, I will bring them in sync.

> Personally, I prefer subversion.  However, I feel strongly that we should drop one of the repos so that this out-of-sync situation no longer arises.

We will be maintaining the current three repository (two Git, one Subversion) bridge by my idiosyncratic Mercurial bridge as long as I am doing the release engineering.

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."