ABCL 1.8.0

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Fri Oct 30 21:22:37 UTC 2020

> On Oct 30, 2020, at 16:22, Vibhu Mohindra <vibhu.mohindra at gmail.com> wrote:

[…]

> I should probably read up on what specific JDK11 CAS feature abcl-2
> relies upon, that doesn't exist in JDK8. I haven't kept up.
>
> Vibhu

As far as I understand things, [varhandle][] is what would most easily support
taking an arbitray CONS that has been created by the existing implementation,
and “silently” replacing it with something that would be a suitable target for
subequent arbitrary atmoic CAS semantics.  I have no working code, as this is
currently supposition from my analysis phase.

VarHandle was implemented with openjdk9, which the Beat never ran on for the
burdensome restrictions on package access that were subsequently relaxed into
the current long-term ORCL baseline of openjdk11.

As implementation is the sincerest form of flattery, we will see if this claim
stand the test of actually working code.

[varhandl]: https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/docs/api/java.base/java/lang/invoke/VarHandle.html

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."